Little is known about the origins of Château du Haut Bois, but it appears to date back to the end of the 15th century. Rebuilt in 1897 on old foundations, Château du Haut Bois once belonged to the d'Harancourt family.
The château was returned to the département in the spring of 1945. For two years, the buildings were used as a reception and convalescent centre for refugees from the Nazi concentration camps.
In 1948, a domestic school opened its doors at the château, and in 1978 the establishment was transformed into a vocational agricultural college.
In the 1990s, as the premises were becoming unsuitable, a new complex was built, funded by the Pays de Loire Regional Council. The château is now closed to the public.
At the entrance to the site, a magnificently restored dovecote dates back to the 14th century.
Prices
Gratuit